Was it really a week ago that I walked out of the Grafton pub into a horrible night feeling the famed Eroticon drop? In truth the drop only lasted until I tucked ravenously into a pasty at Euston. On the train home I felt tired but elated. Eroticon just gets better and better. I have needed a week to take it all in and reflect but here are my thoughts.
2017 saw the event back in London after three years in Bristol. Much as I love Bristol, and much as I loved Armada House as a venue, I think London is really where the event needs to be, not least because it is so much easier for overseas delegates ( of whom there were quite a few). I loved the vibe of Camden and loved Arlington House. And the proximity to Vivien of Holloway is, of course, another plus 🙂 And yes Anna Sky, we are going to buy frocks next year!
A few familiar faces were missing this year but we had a lot of new faces. A number of them admitted to anxiety and trepidation beforehand but they took to it like fish to water and made a huge contribution to the success of the event. It was great to meet you and I look forward to seeing you again next year. And if anyone is reading this who didn’t come because of anxiety please do come next year. We are more than people who come together once a year, we are a community and we want you to be part of it. Any event needs the renewal that comes from having new participants and it really bodes well for the future.
Others have written about ten things they took away from Eroticon 2017. I am going to write about my ten favourite moments (in no particular order)
- As I was enjoying a pre-Eroticon cigarette outside Arlington House I was joined by one of the residents. came to chat.
“This conference, what is it?” she asked.
“It’s a writers’ conference” I replied vaguely.
“Only I’ve just been downstairs and I’ve seen them putting all penises out on a table.”
“Oh yes it’s an erotica writers’ conference” I said with more than a hint of relief.
2. Kate Lister’s run through the history of obscenity, .She mentioned Catullus who I had to read at school and who, oddly enough, is in a story on this blog here and here. And I never tire of Chaucer’s Miller’s tale
3. Being tied up by Screw Taboo at DJ Fet’s rope workshop and going all floaty and spacy. A lovely experience and a lesson in the power of rope.
4. Talking sex work politics. Can we have more on this next year please?. .
5. Girl on the Net’s riotous Listeresque poem. She fucking loves fucking in London ( although I may have worked that out already)
6. My train journey to work has not been quite the same this week after Confess Hannah’s tale of a train journey in Scotland. But I still await my moment. Come on Chiltern Trains, lift your game!
7. Being asked for my autograph. This hasn’t never happened before….and may never happen again. For you Livvy it was a pleasure.
8. The Saturday evening social and particularly the burlesque show which will stay in the memory for a ling time.
9. Cigarettes with awesome people. You know who you are. I know I ought to give up but I would surely be missing out on so many interesting conversations if I did.
10. Leaving on the Sunday knowing we will do it all again next year.
Read other reflections on Eroticon 2017 here